Who wants to do the washing up? No one! That’s why many of us have a dishwasher at home which also happens to chew through your power bill. But you can save a considerable amount of energy by changing the way you operate it.
Here are some tips:
Skip the sink
Scrape off food into the trash instead of rinsing dishes in the sink. Clean it thoroughly and use a rough brush or dry sponge to get rid of food particles that clog drains. This technique saves water and money.
Wash only full loads
The dishwasher uses the same amount of water whether it’s partially or completely full. Putting dishes in the dishwasher throughout the day and running it once in the evening uses less water and energy.
Let dishes dry naturally
Use your dishwasher’s air-dry option. If it doesn’t have one, prop the door open to allow dishes to air-dry after the final rinse.
- Avoid Peak Hours. Energy rates are higher during peak hours. Use the delay or timing feature on your dishwasher to start a full load of dishes late at night or early in the morning.
- Use a rinse aid for better drying results. Try a rinse aid instead of the heated-dry cycle to speed up drying time. This will help remove spots on glasses too.
- Consider Upgrading Models. Latest models use less water and resources without sacrificing the overall quality of cleaning. You can also switch to a countertop or 18-inch dishwasher which are smaller and use less water and energy than their full-size counterparts.
- Read the manual. Get better results by reading the manufacturer’s instructions and following them.
- Turn the water temperature to 40°C. Most dishwashers heat water between 60 to 70°C. Turn the water temperature to about 40°C., which is between the low and medium heat setting to get clean dishes with less energy. Washing dishes on the lowest possible setting, although, is only recommended for slightly used utensils.
Sit back and don’t stress about your upcoming power bills if you follow these tips.
We can help you find the right plan for your home without compromising your lifestyle. To Compare offers Click here