Not too many people take part in recycling. Some understand the benefits, and some just care less. Luckily for Australians, our government provides designated recycling bins which encourages everyone to do the 3R – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. But are you doing your part?
Recycling has lots of benefits in the environment, and one of them is that it saves energy and How’s that possible?
You should start recycling now
Here are some hard truths why you should consider recycling.
- Australia is one of the highest waste producers in the world.
- Approximately 18 million tons of waste is produced every year.
- Around 30% of all waste produced in the country, comes from households.
- Over 100,000 animals in Australia die every year because of humans produced waste.
It’s the small things
Making products such as paper and plastic & aluminum need manpower, expenses, and raw materials. By using recycled raw materials instead of new natural resources, manufacturers can make the same and new products with 30% less energy. The question is how does recycling aluminum, plastic and paper save energy
100 billion aluminum cans are sold each year, and less than only 50% is being recycled. The amount of energy takes to make one virgin aluminum can, can produce 20 recycled cans. In addition, the process is fast meaning less energy is needed since aluminum can be recycled without degrading.
Unlike aluminum, plastics need to be degraded when recycling. Smart and efficient manufacturers make innovative and high-quality plastic products that need less energy to produce.
Paper is another product which is a consistently recycled material. Recycled paper uses only 60% of the energy needed to make a new paper from fresh pulps, and saves hundreds of trees.
Cool facts that make the world warmer
- Over 80 billion aluminum cans are used every year around the world. Recycling aluminum can save a great amount of energy which is enough to run your home television for about three hours.
- Recycling one glass bottle can save enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for four hours.
- The amount of paper and wood that are thrown each year is enough to heat 50 million homes for 20 years.
- Recycling helps to conserve natural resources like gas, coal, and oil, which is used to generate electricity.
- Recycling can save 95% of the energy required to produce raw materials of a product. Conserving energy results in less greenhouse gas emissions, which is the main cause of global warming.
Every day is a perfect day to recycle not just in your homes but wherever you go. Start recycling today and the world will be a minute happier every time you do!
Looking for more energy saving tips? Click here