As the energy market shifts and our climate concerns grow, Australian consumers are seeking an electricity provider that aligns with both their price expectations and social values. The number of options can appear overwhelming, with numerous energy providers big and small; each promising competitive rates and attractive rewards and perks.
Don’t panic, though – we're here to help. In the comprehensive guide below, we outline some of the nation’s top energy retailers, with proven track records for exceeding customer expectations. Armed with this information, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of how the Australian energy market operates, including the developing role of solar power.
Let’s dive in.
Selection of the Best Electricity Companies in Australia
When you’re ready to make an informed decision on the best electricity company for you, our unbiased Econnex Comparison platform is ready to help you compare the most suitable electricity, gas or solar energy plan for your needs. What’s more, you can sign up online, from one place, in minutes.
- Origin Energy. Boasting an excellent TrustScore of 4.6 from over 18,000 reviews and a partnership with Everyday Rewards, Origin Energy has proven time and again that it values and supports its growing customer base. They offer a diverse selection of energy, internet, solar and LPG plans to cater to a range of budgets.
- AGL. A household name in Australia, AGL can bundle together electricity, gas, solar, internet and mobile plans to deliver a seamless customer experience. With attractive sign-on rewards and carbon neutral products available, it’s clear why they have been a leading retailer for over 180 years.
- EnergyAustralia. With an award-winning digital customer experience, and the offer of 100% carbon neutral energy at no extra cost, EnergyAustralia deserves its stellar reputation. Providing over 1.6 million Australians with competitive rates and tailored energy plans, including solar options, they pride themselves on being more than your standard electricity and gas company.
- Red Energy. Given their entire business operations have been certified as carbon neutral, Red Energy's commitment to renewable energy goals sets it apart. Moreover, they provide trusted and personalised customer service to cater to your each and every energy need. With solar incentives and community-focused initiatives, they’re clearly an energy provider that cares.
- Lumo Energy. 100% Australian-owned and boasting several service awards over the past ten years, Lumo Energy focuses on simplicity and affordability for everyday energy consumers. They provide a range of flexible plans and competitive rates that suit a wide range of customers in Victoria and South Australia.
- Alinta Energy. Alinta Energy's emphasis on combining straightforward pricing, carbon balanced plans and a range of rewards and savings perks makes it a popular choice Australia-wide. With a range of both traditional and renewable energy options, there’s an option to suit households of all shapes and sizes.
- Momentum Energy. Owned by Australia’s largest renewable generator, Hydro Tasmania, Momentum caters to customers looking for greener energy solutions. Earning 4.5 out of 5 stars in Greenpeace’s 2022 Green Electricity Guide, they provide plans for various budgets that support renewable energy projects and technology.
- Sumo. Australian owned and operated, Sumo work to ensure that their customer service experience and support team are second-to-none. Customers can bundle electricity, gas and internet into one plan, with a single point of contact and minimal fuss. Furthermore, there are no lock-in contracts and flexible pricing options to suit a range of needs.
- Globird. Globird carry a reputation, and several awards, for consumer-friendly energy pricing, exceptional customer service, and a no-frills approach to delivering competitive deals for electricity and gas. Additionally, their GloGreen 100% carbon offset product allows an easy pathway for customers to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Tango Energy. Tango Energy prides itself on providing a simple, fuss-free energy plan or solar system experience for Australian consumers. With no lock-in contracts, an award-winning customer service team, and the ability to sign up for the energy plan that suits your needs in minutes – it's clear why they’ve received numerous plaudits for satisfied customers.
- Powershop. With innovative offerings including a proprietary app to track energy usage and history, and electricity credit for eligible customers who switch, Powershop are a forward-thinking and tech-savvy energy provider. Customers can sign up to competitively priced plans online, completing their application in mere minutes.
- 1stEnergy. Receiving multiple awards for providing great value for their customers, 1stEnergy are committed to offering competitively priced, simplified and streamlined electricity, gas and internet plans to Australian consumers. What’s more, they provide flexible payment options, no lock-in contracts and a quick online sign-up experience.
How Australians can Switch and Save with Econnex Comparison
Econnex has transformed the way Australian customers can compare, identify and sign up for the best electricity company that suits their needs. Our user-friendly platform gives you the tools required to complete your application online, from one place, in mere minutes.
Here's how it works:
- Enter your details. Provide your postcode and energy usage details to get personalised results.
- Compare the options. Econnex will reveal a comprehensive list of energy companies and plans available in your area. Filter results based on preferences such as renewable energy options, rates, and more.
- Find the best fit. Review the options, compare rates, and analyse plan features to make an informed decision that suits your needs and budget.
- Switch Seamlessly. Once you've found the best electricity company for your needs, Econnex facilitates a hassle-free switch in minutes without ever leaving the platform, saving you considerable time and effort.
Top 10 Factors When Choosing the Best Electricity Company
- Rates and Plans: Not all energy plans are created equal. Be sure to compare rates, discounts, and plan structures to find the best value for your energy consumption.
- Customer Service: Look for a company with excellent customer support and easily accessible information.
- Renewable Energy Options: Consider companies that offer sustainable and green energy options if you wish to reduce your carbon footprint or support environmental conservation.
- Billing and Payment Flexibility: Check for flexible billing and payment options that align with your preferences.
- Contract Terms: It's important that you understand contract terms, including contract length and exit fees, prior to engaging with any energy retailer.
- Customer Reviews: It can be helpful to read reviews to gauge customer satisfaction and the company's reputation.
- Incentives and Rewards: Some companies offer incentives, rewards, or loyalty programs that can add value to your energy plan.
- Transparency: Choose a company with transparent pricing and policies.
- Solar Compatibility: If you already have, or plan to install, solar panels, opt for a company that supports solar energy integration.
- Additional Services: Some companies offer extra services such as energy-saving advice and smart home solutions.
Making Sense of the Australian Energy Market
The Australian energy market operates on a mix of price competition and varied government regulations, depending on the state you’re in. In terms of the actual poles and wires, the market consists of two main players: the National Electricity Market (NEM) and the Wholesale Electricity Market (WEM) in Western Australia.
States such as Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, and South Australia have deregulated energy provider markets, allowing consumers to choose the electricity retailer that fits their needs from a range of providers. In Tasmania, the government-owned Aurora Energy is the only supplier for consumers, while Western Australia and the Northern Territory maintain regulated markets.
Solar's Impact on the Energy Market
Solar energy is transforming the energy landscape in Australia. Homeowners are increasingly adopting solar panels to generate a high percentage of their electricity, reducing their reliance on traditional energy sources. Solar feed-in tariffs and government incentives encourage this shift towards renewables. Solar panels can even enable homeowners to sell excess energy back to the grid, potentially offsetting their energy bills.
Putting the Power in Your Hands
In their ongoing quest for the best electricity company for their needs, Australians have a swathe of retailers and package options to consider. As the energy market continues to evolve, and renewable technology develops further, it’s critical that an unbiased and independent comparison platform like Econnex gives customers a chance to make a truly informed decision. By focusing on your specific needs, preferences, and budget, you can navigate the energy market with confidence and make a choice that benefits both your wallet and the environment.